• US Open now in jeopardy

    Winged Foot
    Winged Foot

    The year’s third Major – the US Open at Winged Foot – is next on the list of global sporting events likely to be shifted out due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    April lost The Masters and May will not see the PGA Championship and now June is looking less likely to see a Major championship.

    Scheduled for 18 June, it is now a race against time to make the call about whether an alternative date is needed. This is expect to come within the next two weeks after the USGA sent a letter to the host club.

    ‘We continue to hold the dates for the US Open at Winged Foot in June and monitor all available guidance and regulations from the CDC, WHO and other federal, state and local authorities to do what is in the best interests of the community for the safety and health of all involved. Given that postponement could be a possibility, we are creating contingency plans should we need to pivot. It is premature at this point to speculate on any potential date or location changes, but we expect to make a decision sometime in the middle of April.’

    Work at the venue halted last week as the virus’ effect started to strengthen and there is no USGA staff on site. No grandstands or hospitality structures have been built.

    ‘We’re creating contingency plans,’ said Beth Major, the USGA’s senior director of championship communications.

    ‘It’s a little premature for us to speculate whether that would include a date change, but a time frame [for a decision] is being worked on.

    ‘We’re very much hoping to be able to conduct the US Open at Winged Foot in June, but it’s also realistic that we have to think about changes accordingly. Any decisions we’re making is relying on CDC and local guidelines.’

    With the Masters and the PGA Championship already looking for a later date in the calendar, the postponement of the Olympics has offered the date of 30 July for the tournament.

    Article written by